Thursday, October 23, 2008

It has been a year...

I cannot believe that a year has now passed from DREAM Act's defeat in the Senate last year. It was a painful day, and it was painful for weeks after. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about that day. It gets harder every year, and especially as you get older. When I was eighteen and I had just heard about the DREAM Act from my laywer I was hopeful for its passage, but not so concerned about what it could mean for my future. I am now twenty-four years old, and the passage of the DREAM Act in the next two years will *decide* my future, at least in this country.


I graduated with a Bachelor's degree two years ago, and I have just begun to pursue my masters. It is strange being back in school after two years off. I feel like I am there for different reasons than so many of my fellow classmates. They are there to advance their career. I am there to buy time, as well as advance my career. Though first and foremost to buy time; so that the degree I already earned, tucked away in a drawer, isn't gathering dust and losing its value.

I am grateful that I can continue to pursue my studies. There are so many other DREAMers out there who just graduated high school and college who can't afford any higher education. Then there are the DREAMers who are under threat of deportation. The hopes and future of thousands of de-facto Americans who call this country their home rests on the passage of DREAM Act. I am hopeful with a new president the DREAM Act will become a reality. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be writing a very different entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son, most likely will follow the same path you are going through. He's graduating this May with a Bachelor's Degree that would most likely just gather dust in the drawer. He might have to pursue his Law degree just to buy time. As I read your blog I can feel the pain, for you and my son. I have 2 other daughters too, very mcuh in the same boat. As a parent who only wants the best for her children, I often blame myself for bringing this upon them. But when I brought them here, it was for the very reason that I want to give them a future which my own country denied us. I pray every day for all of you.